Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Adventures in Plumbing



So if you read the last post I'm sorry, but I'm going to recap for the full effect.

Wednesday night at 9pm I turn the water on, at the kitchen faucet, and water goes everywhere. So I shut the water off and we run off to Lowes. We get to Lowes a few minutes before they close. We grab what we think we need and run home to start fixing the pipes. After a few hours J gives up for the night too tired and being interrupted by work.
He stayed up all night working then this morning after his conference call he started up again on the pipes.
After using a hacksaw to get the old faucet off we tried to put the new one in for a dry fit. It didn't fit. We have a 6" on center sink and the standard today is 8" on center. So off J goes back to Lowes to get new parts.
Yeah, the new one fits. Sorta. The center hole is rusty and the other two holes are very small, so the new fiture that we bought doesn't fit, exactly. So we are going to have the handle, for the hot and cold, in the center hole, which is the largest hole, and the water spout off to the side. But I'll have a soap dispencer, which is a new feature for me and water sprayer, which I had before and am happy I'm keeping!
So J and I run down stairs are redoing the old pipes. No problems. Until we get upstairs.
Upstairs we have a joint that makes a straight with a 90degree angle to feed the dishwasher. All goes well except the bottom seal. It just won't take the solder. We try add more solder a few times thinking that it's just the inability to get in the small space, but that just makes the whole thing messy, and doesn't fix the leak.
So J used to torch to heat it up and pull off the joint to clean it up and try again. It won't come off. It's 5:30pm and J is exhausted and still intends to go to work tonight! So he went to bed. I'm add more later when it's all done and add some pictures as well.


I added pictures to this post. The photo at the top shows the work that went well. The part that didn't go so well is hidden behind the waste pipes. The photo on the right is of my cabinet contents all over the floor mingled in with J's plumbing supplies. So my kitchen floor is just taken over with stuff and I can barely get to the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comments! They are always appreciated! And I've always kinda wondered if anyone was acutally reading this! Now, I know!