Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 15, 2009

2 Days @ Boys State

Back atthe beginning of May, my guidance Mrs. Turner and Mr. Condon called me down to their office and told me that I had been selected by the school to attend a program called Boys State. I had no idea what the program was, but it didn't sound too interesting. They told me that it was a government study program and would GREAT on a college application, so I decided I'd give it a try. My friend, Chris, was selected to come, too. Neither of us wanted to go. We thought it was going to be a long, boring week of lame lectures and stuck-up jerks that found government "fun." But boy, was I wrong!

I arrived at Stone Hill College on June 13, around 11:37am. At sign-ins, Chris and I found out that we were split up and probable wouldn't see eachother all week. I soon made some friends, and am now having a great time. I'm a member of T-1 (Town-1). In my town, I've been elected to the town planning board, and today I became, I think it's something like Park & Rec. Commissioner. I didn't plan on running for ANYTHING when I first got here, but since I've been having a good time so far, I figured "What the heck. I may as well make the most of my time here." I'm not running for anything big, but one of my roommates was elected Moderator and is running for Attorney General? I think that's what it is but I don't remember... I'll come back later and edit it if I'm wrong. He's really into this law/government stuff. It's pretty cool. He's a soccer player too!

Each district has a sports team. I, District D, play for the Red Team. You can participate in any of the sports you want during Rec. Period, or you don't have to play at all. You just have to be out of the dorms. I played in the first game of the soccer tourney yesterday and we beat the Green Team (Chris's team) 4-3! I had a GREAT time!! I love playing soccer here! Sometimes we just play friendly pick-up games, and some of the kids are really good, but I like the challenge going up against them. There's no pressure at all. Everyone here is supportive of eachother, and are actively involved back home, even more than I was!

The meals the serve are awesome too! We can eat as much as we want, and it's all delicious and FREE!!! The two plates per meal I get here, one half of one plate is a full meal for me back home. I'm really going to miss it here when the week is over. And to think I had absolutely no interest in coming here in the first place! Wow!

I'll post some more later in the week, letting you know how it is over here in Easton, MA, at Stone Hill College. I'm really missing my little siblings, but I'll see you guys Friday! If you ever wanna chat, send an email to my cell and I'll respond as soon as I have a chance! Well, I have to get going... Rec. Period is ending now and dinner is in an hour and a half! Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're having a good time! I had two friends who went in high school and they both enjoyed it a lot. See you Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments! They are always appreciated! And I've always kinda wondered if anyone was acutally reading this! Now, I know!