Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, July 30, 2010

A sweet 16 in planning....

Taylor is 14, I know.  But I like to plan things WAY in advance.  Madison and Bailey didn't get birthday parties this year because I didn't plan early.  Jordan and Taylor got one each.  I know, I'm a bad mom.
So I am starting Taylor's Sweet 16 early.  I had thought about doing it at 15 like a Quinceanera, but I think I'd rather party like it's 1999, than go through the ceremony.  Quinceanera's have so many traditions and I'd rather not mess up a beautiful thing, so I'll do a typical American Sweet 16.  Most American traditions have been thrown out for the "modern America" so the Sweet 16 that used to be similar to the Quinceanera in it's coming out ceremony and tradition, it's crumbled into a bratty-rich-kid-slut-fest.  Or at least the one's on MTV are.  Which of course, we won't be doing.  But a lack of tradition, just have a good time- thing is perfect for me.
This is Taylor and Bridget after doing makeovers.  It's so much fun experimenting with makeup!


So I thought Taylor would be against this.  She doesn't dance, she doesn't like boys, she doesn't like parties- she is focused on preparing for her mission and graduating high school. (I know!  What happened!  I think she got mixed up at the hospital because she couldn't be MY kid!  It must be Jason's fantastic genetics.)  Taylor is not only for this party, she is excited for it!  Shocker!  Our theme is Midnight Owl Blast.  I don't know why Blast has to be in the name, other than Midnight Owl sounds dumb.  And at this point it is too late to change the name.  Because I bought a sign on the cheap.  (I love finding excellent deals!!)
Big sign for in front of the DJ on the stage.

Since we have a theme it is fairly easy going waiting for a good deal then buying the stuff.  I was able to find stuffed owls for about $4 each, most places were asking $10 for the same stuffies.  Taylor about died when she saw them.  They are cute.  No pictures of them, I recently ordered them and they haven't all arrived yet.

So she wants a candy buffet, that's when you have a table with all sorts of jars of candy.  The those who choose to can make little party bags of candy as take home gifts.  It should be really fun for everyone.  Google Candy Buffet Images and you will find 100's of pages of images to look at.

We will also have a Sundae bar.  That's basically where you are served ice cream and the toppings are put out for each person to choose what they want.

And one last thing, on each place setting I want a chocolate truffle.  Again, I'm friends with a woman who owns a chocolate store.  I don't think I could get anything but a bulk discount.  But I have 2 years to work on her. ;P

Taylor's colors will be light green, ice blue and silver. The sign is not the colors, but it's close enough.

I hope to have a corner where we can take pictures with Taylor and her friends.  I have a friend who is a photographer, so I'm hoping she will give me a deal!

I don't know if this is possible, but I'd love to get what is called a BOGO light.  It's a spotlight with a design, you see them at expensive weddings usually the initials of the couple.  They are called "Inexpensive" online, but that means about $200.  So I'm not sure if that is going to happen or not.  But a big 16 or an owl pointed at the floor would be awesome!

We will also need signs.  I found signs for free!  Only $12 for shipping....not so free.  But anyway, I can get two lawn signs with stands and shipping all together $12.  Not bad.  Those will go outside the church building at the two entrances.
And a sign for when you first walk in.  I was thinking I'd have the kids sign in on the sign itself.  But that idea is great, but who keeps that stuff?  Is she really going to be interested in it when she's 30 and having babies?  Not really, but another idea I have- that takes the party planner idea that I borrowed from online and tweeks it- Get a photo album each guest signs one page, or half a page, except in the center where a 4X6 area is blocked out.  That way when we are putting the pictures we had taken into an album (which is much more portable than a 24x36 poster) we know exactly where the picture goes.  Again, it's an idea.  We'll see how it goes.

Assigned seating is an idea I'm toying with.  It would be nice, but not necessary.  Balloons are a must!  Owl, moon and star theme center pieces, and painted cardboard cut outs to hang from the ceiling, that shouldn't be too hard.  I was also thinking of having a donations box at the front door.  Have each guest bring a new unwrapped toy to be donated to a local charity.

Another gift that we want to give out are tiny buttons.  You see teens with them all the time.  They are about 1" and have all sorts of sayings, the kids usually put them on their backpacks.  Taylor wants to stick with the owls.  Again, expensive.  So we will have to see about the buttons.

We'll have buffet style foods.  That's a can of worms I have yet to even think about!

And I have a DJ already lined up.  He is a member of our stake, so he gives discounts to his LDS family.  Yeah!

So that's what I have so far.  We have yet to purchase 99% of what we need, but I still have 2 years to save up, plan & buy.

2 comments:

  1. Easy Geoff! It's not like this is stealing any money from you-just a little blog-Geez!

    Anyway, Beck-you sure plan things way in advance! I am lucky if i know what's for dinner before 5 pm. Sounds like you are going to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments! They are always appreciated! And I've always kinda wondered if anyone was acutally reading this! Now, I know!