Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Opportunity to Serve

The opportunity we have had to serve in Springfield has really helped my family!  At first, the younger three, were not at all interested in all the "work!"  But they have come around.  They definitely don't have the patience or strength to work for 3-4 hours like J and I do, but they do an awesome job every time!

I'm really grateful for the people who are letting us come into their yards and help out.  I have wanted to do something for our community since we moved in.  I have tried with the PTO and other school stuff, and it was just so unfulfilling!  The people were either not interested in receiving help or not interested in new idea's.  So I went to the library and they don't have a volunteer program for adults, just teens.  I also tried the YMCA, they are all paid positions.  Where the heck was I going to volunteer!  I did what I could with my photography, mostly teaching classes at church, because they were the only ones who seemed interested in my talent.

But now, after a tragedy, I have something I can do!  It's not my favorite thing to do, cleaning up trees, smashed garages, roofing tiles, gutters, glass, bird houses- one occupant I found didn't make it through, etc.  But I tell you what!  I have never been able to pick up such huge pieces of wood!  These logs are various sizes, but I find that I always have the energy to lift and carry them as far as I need to go.  And they aren't nearly as heavy as I think they should be.  I feel like there are Angels helping with the clean up.  Every time I lift a branch over my head to throw it on a pile that is 5ft high, or carry a log 30ft to the street, I know that I'm not doing it alone.  There is no way I am physically capable of doing that.

And the kids are really enjoying helping.  They love to play with the other children and compete to see who can carry more branches.  They love seeing the home owners smiling, grateful faces.  Even the dog behaved when we brought her.  Normally, she'd bark at new people, but the time we took her, she was quiet and sat on the lap of the homeowners son who is in a wheel chair, making that boy feel special.

A true family effort!

Alas, there is still more to do.  But we will enjoy it!  How could we not!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comments! They are always appreciated! And I've always kinda wondered if anyone was acutally reading this! Now, I know!